Skip To Main Content

Financial Aid - CAFSA & FAFSA

Planning on attending college or a career & technical training after graduation? 
Be sure to apply for Financial Aid.

In the senior year, a big part of what happens is the development of the plan for after graduation. To pursue the career path that you want, post-secondary education/training is often required.  To make getting to your chosen career easier, the pathway is often through career/technical training or college. 

To start the process of applying for state and federal grants and aid, students must complete the FAFSA or CAFSA (not both). 

Below are details and helpful links to make it easier to understand how students can become eligible for grants, scholarships, and aid from the state of Colorado, the United States government, and the college or technical program that has been chosen. 

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid 

Q: Who can apply for FAFSA: 

I am a U.S. citizen resident or an eligible noncitizen.
I am a U.S. permanent resident and I have a Permanent Resident Card (I-151, I-551 or I-551c)
I have an I-94. 
I am considered one of the following:

         o "Refugee"

         o "Asylum Granted"

         o "Cuban-Haitian Entrant" (Status Pending)

         o "Conditional Entrant"

         o T-visa

En español - Elegibilidad de FAFSA

FAFSA Eligibility

Q: What is the first step to completing the FAFSA? 

Create a FSA ID 

Q: What is a FSA ID?

An FSA ID is the usename and password that are created by the student (and one parent) in the United States Department of Education.  It should not be created by anyone other than the student (for the student FSA ID) and the parent (the parent FSA ID). 

The FSA ID is how a student fills out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year they will be in college. 

Q: Where do I go to get started? 

Here is the link to the website: FSA ID - Create an Account

Feel Free to check out this quick video on  Creating an FSA ID account 

Q: What do I need?

  • social security number
  • cell phone number
  • email address

Q: Once I have my FSA ID, the next step is the FAFSA form

Not sure what to expect? Check out this quick video on How to Fill Out the FAFSA form. 

Q: What happens after I complete the FAFSA?

After the FAFSA: What Happens Next

CAFSA - Colorado Application for State Financial Aid

Q: Who can apply for CASFA:

  • I am a non-U.S. citizen resident and/or non-resident student.
  • I qualify as a Colorado ASSET student.
  • I have attended a Colorado high school for at least one year immediately before graduation or completed a GED in Colorado; and I have had a continuous and physical presence in Colorado for 12 months before the start of the semester. 

Q: Why should I apply for CAFSA? 
A: State aid, including grants and work-study funds, helps students who have attended high school in Colorado but who are not eligible for federal financial aid.   

Q: How do I apply for CAFSA?
A: Students should use their personal email, not their high school email address, to ensure they have continued access to their CASFA application throughout their post-secondary education.   

Q: What information do I need to apply for CAFSA

  • Date of birth for student and parent(s).
  • Personal email address for the student and parent(s).
  • Driver’s license number, if applicable.
  • SSN/ITIN/DACA number, if applicable.        
    • If a student does not possess an SSN/ITIN/DACA number, please leave field blank.
    • If a parent does not possess an SSN/ITIN/DACA number, please enter all zeros.
  • Date of Marriage for student and/or parent(s), if applicable.
  • W-2 forms and 2021 tax returns (for the 2023-24 CASFA application).
  • Bank statements and records of investment.
    • Records of untaxed income (such as child support received and untaxed pensions).

Senior Parents - Still have Questions about Financial Aid? 

Check out the official blog of the US Dept. of Education. Helpful tips are easily accessed with The Parent's Guide to Filling Out the FAFSA Form: